Wednesday, September 2, 2009

painfully

I have so much extra time now. By not being able to plan exactly when and where we'd find a place to stay, I'm about 2 days ahead of schedule. Today was only 6.8 miles, which felt like a simple and fast walk. It's almost like we never even left. I'm becoming concerned about my sister Tina and her blistered feet. All 3 of us are sore and in pain but she keeps pounding the pavement where it could get worse. I think I have either lightly sprained my ankles or the tendons around my feet or I'm developing some other tendon issues. Physical pain is not something I factored in to this trip and I'm hoping it doesn't become a dominant force. The walk is weakening and strengthening me at the same time. The weather has actually been equally painful in how beautiful it is. After the first day, it's been sunny, breezy and warm. I walk on the trail and side of the road next to what sometimes seems like a primordial forest. Every inch is growing whether it's next to a landfill, nuclear power plant, nature trail or abandoned mental facility--all of which I've passed.
Whatever grew when I last lived here is several feet underground being compressed, digested and feeding these new plants. I'd never really seen it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment