Friday, September 11, 2009

memory log: Friday, August 28, 2009

I spent most of my day staying busy and re-familiarizing myself with Philadelphia. There were markers of steps that brought me closer to the beginning of the trip so, since i was still in the stage of all those preparatory steps, i didn't really feel nervous.

It was raining off and on throughout the day until midday when the real rain broke and then it poured for hours. I had forgotten how much and for how long it could rain in southeastern PA. I watched from my hotel room as sheets of rain coursed down the roof of the Reading Terminal Market. Tina had my umbrella while she went to meet some friends for cheesesteaks and me and Christy went and got cheap Indian food. The Indian restaurant served everything in plastic—cups, utensils, plates, serving bowls. I imagined how much waste they must produce in the day and whether it's actually cheaper to pay for a continuous supply of plasticware rather than to pay a dishwasher.

I must have gone over my numerous maps but since I wasn't really sure where or how to begin and since looking at the maps became such a routine throughout the rest of the trip, I can't specifically remember doing it.

I decided i was going to go to the WaWa across the street in the morning for coffee and a Tastykake but beyond that, i felt overwhelmed and remedied that in my mind by trying to tell myself that the entire trip was trivial and ridiculous idea. Also, if i hadn't planned enough then it wouldn't just affect me but Tina and Christy. That gave me the hugest amount of stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment